Which are good books to learn C programming ?
The following is a list of recommended books for learning C programming:
- C Programming Language (2nd Edition) (Prentice Hall Software) by Brian W Kernighan & Dennis M Ritchie.
- Foundations of Computer Science: C Edition (Principles of Computer Science Series) by Aho & Ullman
- Pointers on C by Kenneth Reek
- C Programming FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions by Steve Summit
- The C Puzzle Book by Alan R. Feuer
- Algorithms in C, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching (3rd Edition) (Pts. 1-4)
by Robert Sedgewick
- Expert C Programming
by Peter van der Linden
Books NOT recommended
- Let Us C - Yashwant Kanetkar
- C The Complete Reference - Herbert Shildt
These books are not recommended as they contain a lot of erroneous and non-standard content. Learning from these books will rather spoil your knowledge than improve it in any way, and may badly hamper your learning process.
In addition to the books, we recommend you have a copy of the C language standard. It serves as a great reference whenever you're unsure of some language construct. The C language standards draft copies are available for free (links given below) which are about 99% same as the original standard.
(C99 is the current C standard)
You can buy the official standard from the ANSI website∞